• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fear of Gyms?

more

Bluelighter
I've never been to a gym to workout, can you believe it? It's something that sounds enjoyable, but I seriously feel awkward about working out in front of people I don't know. I'm also going to put out that I'm fairly out-of-shape... used to be into running, but haven't done that in a while -- I doubt I could run nearly as much as used to without taking a break (and definitely not at the same speed).

Any recommendations on getting over this ridiculous fear?

I don't have any tips but I share your gym phobia. I started running instead but was even nervous of that at first. So I went in the morning when still dark. As I got fitter I no longer cared who saw my sweaty arse! Maybe you could find a quiet time at the gym?

Also, to increase my strength I just worked out in my flat. Started with the 100 push ups plan on web 100 push ups.

To get back into running, maybe try this couch to 5k.

Last edited:
Try going to a gym, you don't even have to step inside. You'll see plenty of very out of shape people each doing their own thing. Everyone is self-conscious. One must start somewhere, right?

If you are really petrified, work on your diet first and exercise at home with simple things like pushups and jumping rope, or a light jog around the neighborhood. Diet is more important than exercise, although you do need both to be optimally healthy. I work out most days of the week, most weeks out of the year, but I only notice changes when my eating is on point. Eating healthy is a chore for about a week or two, then it becomes positively reinforcing because of how much better you feel from it. Give it a shot, you've nothing to lose :D

In most cities numerous gyms available. Surveying them you might find one that by staff, atmosphere , or clientele better suits you than the ones you have tried previously.

Also the word gymnophobe and gymnophobia are already taken for a somewhat related but different issue so we can't use them here. Over excitement from nudity is gymnomania and fear of nudity is gymnophobia.

Everyone was small, or out of shape at one point that go to the gym. Half the people that go there still are. The people that are big, and are able to do what they do will not judge you for not being able to do a certain thing, or doing something wrong. They know where your coming from, probably had the same fears themselves. If not, they don't worry about you, unless you might get in the way stupidily, because they will be too focused on their workout to care.

Honestly, almost all of the people at the gym are very friendly people. This HUGE guy that works at a nutrition store right down the road is the nicest guy ever. i love that dude. But nothing to be ashamed of. How can someone judge you for going to the gym?? Your obviusly going there to better yourself, and your health. how can someone judge you wrong for that?

Start off slow, go for a small amount of time, then work your way up, youll feel much comfortable when you go. if you want go at the regular set time each day or whenever you go, and you will mostly see the same people there and the same workers and you will feel more comfortable, people you've seen before, remember you, and it just feels better for your self conscience .

did any of this help?

I'm surprised this thread has gotten so many positive replies and advice. Thanks a lot guys, it means so much how understanding and helpful you are about this. I really don't know how to talk about this with anyone I know, just because it sounds so stupid, but you guys take it so seriously. Thanks so much. < 3

I'm surprised this thread has gotten so many positive replies and advice. Thanks a lot guys, it means so much how understanding and helpful you are about this. I really don't know how to talk about this with anyone I know, just because it sounds so stupid, but you guys take it so seriously. Thanks so much. < 3

I believe everyone on bluelight is very non-judgemental and come here for help, as well as to help others. Im going to be majoring in phsycology, and ive dealt with a lot of stuff relating to this and other issues the past year my self. I also go to a therapist regularly so that also teaches me skills and I like to use what I learn to help everyone else that I can out.

What kind of therapist would i be *when im older* if didnt give a shit now, or wanna help anybody :p

I believe everyone on bluelight is very non-judgemental and come here for help, as well as to help others. Im going to be majoring in phsycology, and ive dealt with a lot of stuff relating to this and other issues the past year my self. I also go to a therapist regularly so that also teaches me skills and I like to use what I learn to help everyone else that I can out.

What kind of therapist would i be *when im older* if didnt give a shit now, or wanna help anybody :p

That's a great mindset to have... you know most people just try to "fix" the problem/person and then leave them be. but, there's so much more to that; you've got to show that you care. It means a lot, and I think you're doing great. ^^

btw, jannerfish, I bookmarked those pages you posted. I can't wait to try them! =]

And thanks again to everyone else, you guys rock.

you know what, i felt the same exact way when i started going to the gym after high-school. i was pretty out of shape, definitely was not filling out my clothes. regardless, i found a local gym that was open a lot and knew when i could go there when it would be mostly empty. i was only a month or two into my membership when a cute blonde started working out there around the same times as me. so i noticed pretty soon that she was always eyeing me, and eventually i picked up my balls and went to say hi, and a while later we were having a fun time in the gym and out ;)

ironically, she made me realize i don't need the gym to get laid so i stopped going when my membership expired after the third month LOL. regardless, go to the damn gym

I've had this fear before too, and I also used to run cross country. The only difference is that I had been to a gym years before. Even when I was still sort of scared to workout in front of others, I would go. After a few minutes of working out, you'll start to feel the endorphins running throughout and you'll feel more comfortable. For me in the beginning, I would stay out of the free weight part of the gym because that's where the most intimidating dudes would be working out. Now its no big deal. Many people at the gym are self conscious and uncomfortable. Its not uncommon. One way that helped me overcome it was by working out at home for a while until I felt confident enough about myself. Just doing pushups, pullups, and whatever else I could do around the house for a couple months helped boost my confidence to where I had no problem walking into a gym. Working out is a very rewarding habit to get into. The reality is, most people at the gym do not even want to be looked at. Most people are there to workout and get out. Most everyone could use some work, that's a big reason why they are there. You'll fit in just fine. At least you have the motivation to work out. Many people don't have it. Take advantage.

I don't have a gym phobia at all but you can always exercise at home with weights or doing pushups or riding a bike/running around where you live.

i have the same problem

I find the best thing to do is imagine you are in a bubble actually visualise yourself in a bubble and you will find all your fears exist outside of the bubble and aslong as you are in the bubble you are safe/ free from anxiety

If what everyone else suggested doesn't help/work, could you take a friend with you?

Depending upon what you want to do at the gym, it could be a lot cheaper in the long run to buy the equipment.

I didn't exactly have a phobia but I just quit the gym not long ago because of the many annoyances going there brings about. I don't like being around so many people while working out... I don't like the weird obligation to talk to people who try and talk to me in there.. I'm not an asshole but I don't want to socialize at all at the gym. I just want to be left alone. But it gets weird when you see the same people in there everyday and feel the need to be friendly when you're a relatively introverted person.

Then there was the germ issue. I got sick a lot last winter and I'm sure part of it was going to the gym. So many people crammed into this hot sweaty environment getting their virus' on everything. It's the yuck.

Like addictive persona said, it is way cheaper to buy your own equipment which was the final and main reason I quit the gym. To get started with a weight set is about 50 bucks, which was what I was paying for the gym for one month. It's so much nicer to work out at home and of the two I like it a lot better so if you really want to avoid the gym that is what I recommend.

seriously, the first week is the hardest. start in small doses, 25-30 min a day and work from there. if you can get yourself to go every day for 25 min, you'll be over the hardest part.

i have the same problem

I find the best thing to do is imagine you are in a bubble actually visualise yourself in a bubble and you will find all your fears exist outside of the bubble and aslong as you are in the bubble you are safe/ free from anxiety

This

I didn't exactly have a phobia but I just quit the gym not long ago because of the many annoyances going there brings about. I don't like being around so many people while working out... I don't like the weird obligation to talk to people who try and talk to me in there.. I'm not an asshole but I don't want to socialize at all at the gym. I just want to be left alone. But it gets weird when you see the same people in there everyday and feel the need to be friendly when you're a relatively introverted person.
That is EXACTLY how I always felt! Thank you for articulating it so well. I tried going countless times but something always repulsed me about the social atmosphere... yes, the people are nice indeed, but how does one reconcile the act of repeating apparently-nonsensical moves while still maintaining a reasonable disposition with others?

I used to have that fear aswell OP, it completely went away after I started going to the gym with my buddies though, if you have some friends you can go with it makes it fun...